The status of ongoing construction water projects
The District is implementing ten villages water projects of Ubembe , Kisiwani Nkumba , Kibanda Nkumba , Kwemhosi , Misongeni ,Mikwamba , Kigongomawe , Kilongo ,Kivindo and Mlingano. The proposed water supply and sanitation sub-projects in the 10 villages of Muheza District include small spring water and borehole sources. The seven (7) villages of Ubembe ,Kisiwani Nkumba ,Kibanda Nkumba ,Kwemhosi ,Misongeni and Mikwamba opted for gravity scheme from spring source, and the two (2) villages of Kivindo and Kigongomawe have opted for pumping scheme from the borehole source that will also involves construction of infrastructure , the othe two villages of Kilongo and Mlingano adopted for pumping scheme from Pangani river and Ziggi river respectively.
According to the District Profile, currently there are 130,855 people which are equivalent to 64% of the total population in Muheza are served by different schemes available (reliable water source) in the District which are gravity, pumping schemes and shallow and deep wells-Using hand pumps while the rest 73,605 people (36 %) receives water from unreliable water sources.
Also Muheza urban water and Sanitation 11,049 people which is equivalent to 35% and currently population is 31,567.Muheza Urban Water Supply depends water from Mkulumuzi stream which gravity scheme and five Deep bore holes which is pumping schemes. There are number of water supply schemes that is out dated due to poor conditions of the existing water supply system infrastructures and therefore they need to be rehabilitated, construction of water supply Project from Zigi river to Muheza town and construction water Project from Pongwe to Muheza town inorder to increase coverage towards the National vision of 2025. It is anticipated that, the coverage should rise to 90% through rehabilitation and construction of new water supply facilities by the year 2020.
The responsibility of operation and maintenance of rural water supplies is under the community. Moreover, the central Government remains to be the overall in charge of planning and development of water and sanitation services.